The Global Playwright Series (GPS) is Shattered Globe’s new play development program, specifically aimed at BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, Neurodiverse, and Disabled writers, and those who fall at the intersections of these identities. The goal of the program is to connect SGT with new playwrights who want to collaborate, lead the development of their play, and then have it fully produced by Shattered Globe.
The Global Playwright Series applications are now closed for 2021. Please check back or subscribe to our newsletter for updates about this program!
1) Limit one submission per playwright
2) Plays can be on any subject.
3) Submissions can be any of the following: – Full length play you would like to continue to develop
– A scene or scenes you would like to develop into a play and an outline of the direction of the play as you see it now.
– A short play that you would like to develop into a full length play
– An idea for a piece you would like to create and an outline of the direction of the play (with this submission please submit an additional completed work)
3) Additional Materials: – Theatrical and/or literary resume
– In 250 words or less, please describe your ideal collaborative process.
1) Submissions will be read by the following panel:
Andrea J. Dymond(Director), Lavina Jadhwani (Director, Playwright), Aila Ayilam Peck (Actor, SGT Associate Artist), Linda Reiter(Actor, SGT Ensemble Member), Nate Santana (Actor, Director, SGT Ensemble Member), Sandy Shinner(SGT Producing Artistic Director), Charles Smith (Playwright, Emeritus Professor at Ohio University), Ayanna Wimberly (Poet, Playwright, SGT Associate Artist).
2) Submissions will be assessed on the following criteria: – How it aligns with SGT’s mission
– Why this play now?
– How can we (SGT) best collaborate with and support the playwright.
3) 10 Finalists will have an interview with SGT.
Two selected playwrights will each receive initial compensation of $500. From there, the Shattered Globe team will discuss how each playwright wants to lead the process of developing their work. SGT will work with the playwrights to provide resources that honor the playwright’s vision for the play.
What kind of support can SGT provide?
It’s our goal to support selected playwrights in whatever the next stage of development is for their project. This could include, but is not limited to:
– A series of developmental readings
– A full workshop process
– Resources for additional research
Submissions open: July 1 Submissions extended: August 31 Interview process: Mid/Late September OR Early November* Selections announced: either Mid October or Mid/November*
*depending on the number of submissions*
Please note that SGT will be producing our first show of the season in October 2021. In an effort to give GPS playwrights and the show the attention they deserve, we will not be conducting interviews in October.
Please email your submission to GPS@ShatteredGlobe.org with the following information:
– Full Name
– Preferred Email Address
– Phone Number – ONE PDF Document titled FirstnameLastname_GPSPacket including your Writing Submission (full play, scenes, concept, outline, etc), a theatrical and/or literary resume, and a 250 word (or less) response describing your ideal collaborative process.
Questions? Feel free to email GPS@ShatteredGlobe.org